Last night, VH1 premiered the third season of “Basketball Wives” and its new show “Single Ladies”. I wasn’t that excited about “Basketball Wives” (we all knew what that was going to entail), but I was excited to watch “Single Ladies”. My final assessment of the show? I’m still torn.
I was excited to see the show for several reasons: For starters, two of the three leads were black. And despite what we may think of them, Stacey Dash and LisaRaye McCoy are still gorgeous. Second, it was an hour long show-something that has been missing from Black television for a LONG time. I do have some gripes with the show. And to keep this post from being too long (and to keep your attention), I’ll use bullet points.
- The premiere was an hour too long
- There were TOO many subplots
- I felt like I was watching a movie instead of a tv show
- There were too many appearances by celebrities
- I couldn’t figure out Keisha, Val, and April’s ages
- I also found it hard that Keisha and Val were friends with April (they seem older)
- Is Cam’ron still relevant to rap music in 2011?
- Is LisaRaye believable as a video vixen?
- A lot of the story lines sucked
I think that’s all I have for now. All in all, I really tried to give the show a chance, but it was just too much going on. (If you want to see my comments from last night, check out my Twitter profile.) There were some things that I could relate to as a single woman, but other aspects were too ridiculous. I did fall asleep during the last few minutes of th show, but I’m sure I’ll catch it sometime this week. I may watch it again next week, but it may take a miracle to get me to like it…
If you saw it, what do you think? Does this show have some longevity or is it doomed to be cancelled? Until next time, I’m just a Southern girl…in the city!