I’ve been pondering purchasing a domain for this here blog and moving from WordPress. I looked initially in October of last year and looked again this past week. I have a lot of hesitations.
1. Who is going to move my site? If you know me, you know I’m not computer savvy. Far from it actually. I’m surprised I’ve been blogging for this long with no real issues. I know someone who is a site designer but he’s so hard to get in touch with, I’m afraid I’d be setting myself up for failure.
2. Who’s going to manage my site? Yes, I know I will, but once again I need a web developer to make the pages, keep the set up straight, and all that good stuff.
3. What’s the REAL benefit of moving to a site? I would still use the layout from WordPress. So why shouldn’t I just continue to use WordPress??? Yes, I know I could have ads put on the site, but would you guys really click them and see what they were all about?
I know there would be a few benefits.
1. I would be a bonafide business owner, because believe me, honey, I would handle it as such. I know you have to spend money to make money, but who has that kind of time???
2. I would be official. I get excited when I see people who have their own sites, like “Black N Bougie”,”Until I Get Married”, and “Very Smart Brothas”. Even my blogging mentor, “Hell in a Handbag”, got her own site recently. (Maybe that’s who I should have had this discussion with.)
I’m lost. What do you guys think? Do I purchase the domain or stick with good ol’ WordPress? WordPress has been good to me. I don’t feel limited in anyway, but maybe that’s because I haven’t tried to reach out too far. For those of you who think that I should purchase the domain, I hope you also have about 1 or 2 referrals for web developers. Until next time, I’m just a Southern girl…in the city!
There’s this company called The UDE Group, that could solve all your above mentioned problems…you should check them out… http://www.uniquelydynamic.com…just a thought!
I am so going to try to purchase a domain and set it up. The major benefit to me at present is that I have more than one blog now, and I can put them all in one place while keeping them separate. I also want to be a professional writer, and I would like to have more control over how the site looks and what the site can do, such as having paypal for when I’m ready to sell books, etc.
I know a couple graphic designers, programmers, and my boyfriend builds websites for an HR company and has promised to help. The hard part is paying these folks (they are friends but not free). They are in the Orlando, FL area, but if you don’t have a problem with working with them virtually, I’m sure they would appreciate the business. I’ve heard of one company from a self hosted blogger, Flo-sites, that does a lot of site design and etc., but I know they can get pricey. As for a site administrator, I have no idea (I’m going to twist the BFs arm and make him do it in my case :D)
Definitely invest in a self-hosted site. IMO a WordPress.com or (gasp) Blogger, etc. blog is for when you are just starting out and getting the hang of it. Once you decide, “OK, I’m really going to do this. For real.” you need to get ‘wordpress’ or ‘blogspot’ out of your site name and make it your own.
Oh, me, mentor. Sweet. Nice new design. Sophisticated and warm. Like you 🙂
Girl…go for it! You waste more money than you would spend on your own domain and hosting. But continue to talk to a lot of people about working out the kinks.
Thank you all for your suggestions! I’ve had a few discussions with some of you, so I’m leaning towards hosting a site; I just have to get all of my questions answered and re-vamp Evolving Elle. 🙂