One of my favorite movies is “Brown Sugar”-a film starring someone I now love Sanaa Lathan (because she got on my last nerves in “The Best Man”) and Taye Diggs. The movie centers around childhood friends who have a love for true hip-hop…and each other. Today’s post is about some of my favorite hip hop songs growing up. Now, I was the kid who liked songs, even when I didn’t know the title or the artist. But I knew good music when I heard it. Below is a list of some of the greatest songs of all time
1. “They Reminisce Over You”- Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth
2. “Award Tour”- A Tribe Called Quest
3. “C.R.E.A.M.”- Wu-Tang Clan
4. “U.N.I.T.Y.”- Queen Latifah
5. “Passin’ Me By”- The Pharcyde
6. “Elevators”- Outkast
7. “Roxanne, Roxanne”- U.T.F.O.
8. “Tennessee”- Arrested Development
9. “The Seed 2.0”- The Roots
10. “Brenda’s Got a Baby”- Tupac
I know I missed tons of songs, so look forward to Part 2 next Wednesday. What are some of your favorite hip hop songs from back in the day? Who can Wacka Flocka, Nicki Minaj, Drake, and the rest of the teeny-boppers look up to in order to know true hip-hop? Until next time, I’m just a Southern Girl…in the city!
Today’s post is homage to one of the greatest voices in hip-hop, Nathaniel Hale, also known as Nate Dogg. RIP